Thursday, August 23, 2007

Week 9 - Thing 23 - Summary

Although I wouldn't reccomend someone go through this at the pace I did, I found this to be an interesting journey of discovery. Left to my own devices, I would probably not explore half the items we looked at. I have a better appreciation of what is out there in the internet and the web.
I was skeptical that there would be anything that I would use personally. However, I found myself getting into bloglines and podcasts. I think that it also opened my eyes to what libraries can really do to reach out to there patrons with these new tools. I still like what Menasha Public Library with widgets and blogs and Del.icio.us. It showed how you can combine a number of these different tools to make yourself attractive to your patron. It is nice to be aware of all these tools that are available and not have a blank look on my face when they are discussed.
I would definitely be interested in participating a program like this in the future. I would hope that I could spread my own experience with it over a longer time frame, which is not the program's fault but how I manage my workload.

1 comment:

James said...

hello rick, congratulations on completing your 23 things!!!

it is amazing when i read in one of your first posts--I hope to use it to overcome my anxiety over new web technology. your posts are some of the most thoughtful i've read so far. it was great to see you thinking about these tools.

i also learned a lot from your blog. the whole HD vs blu-ray debate was on my radar but, until i read your blog, i didn't have many details about the differences in technologies and their implication for AV purchases in libraries. thanks for that.

congratulations again on finishing the program!